Yeah I'm writing another review but I forgot to add a few things. I can agree with all the points especially the one about Glorfindel!! I am a huge Glorfindel fan and I am mad that Arwen stole his spotlight. Also it is very weird that she married her foster brother. *shudders with disgust*. Write some more! I can think of about a gazillion reasons why I hate Arwen!
Author's Response: Yeah, Glorfy is awesome ^.^ I was watching FOTR the other night and I only made a comment about Asfaloth but it was 3am so it was okay for me to be forgetful :P I can't actually think of any other reasons why I don't like Arwen... What are your reasons? We could write a list together if you want, email me using the "contact" link on my author's page (You can get to it by clicking my penname) Thanks for the review - Breia
HA! Although, I never recalled her stealing his horse or sword, but I might have overlooked that in the book. And she does look bad in green, I must admit.
Author's Response: Well, she doesn't steal the sword and horse literally but she does take Glorfindel's place which is just outright BAD!! I'm glad someone enjoyed it though, that was the original intention all that time ago. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the review - Li
This made me laugh, but I just can't agree to hating her!
Author's Response: Woah, someone didn't completely disagree with me. Anyway, glad it made ya laugh and thanks for reviewing - LirnrnPS. This'd be longer but it's too cold
Uf... Let me comment on those points. =;)
1. OK, she did what the script told her. It sounds as the same thing as fretting about Tom Bombadil's absence, about Legolas' "orc-shield skateboard" in Helm's Deep and such... What did you people expect? The team that worked on those movies was a team of high-capacity CREATIVE artists, not just some random "plagiators," which was how the exact book remake would look like. Though I can't say I fancy all their changes, I'm decent enough to respect their decisions for all the other beauty and effort they put to make the characters breathe.
2. Wikipedia: "According to the movie trilogy's official publicity material, Hadhafang once belonged to the Elven princess Idril, who wed a mortal Man (Tuor) and bore Eärendil, the father of Elrond, who in turn was father to Arwen. Before Arwen's birth, Elrond wielded Hadhafang at the end of the Second Age of Middle-earth, during the Last Alliance of Elves and Men in the great battle against Sauron on the slopes of Mount Doom.“
- looks like more individuals need a klepto-therapy then... =;)
3. That's a very discutable statement. Though I agree that it's not the best dress she wears in the movie, I'd personally say the "Farewell dress" she wears when the Fellowhip leaves Rivendell competes in the "Worst dress ranking" very close. =;)
4. Her affection for Aragorn was determined ages before they were both born and therefore so was her choice of mortal life. It's the third union of Elves and Men in all the history and hell it's all full of so forceful ideas it gives me chills. They are one, they are complete; without each other they don't even exist as half of themselves. I don't think we should fret about this relationship just because we are green with envy of it. =;)
Peace, lady, I don’t wish to offend you. I only wanted to share my POV. =:)
Author's Response: Gathered that. I don't mind what people have to say and i know this thing needs some twaking but i've never gotten around to it. I'm dead for words right now, not good. Anyways, thanks for the review - Li
Movie Arwen stole not only Glorfindel's horse, but the entire scene. It's the one part of the movie I fast forward, since I have been a Glorfindel mad fan-woman for many, many years. She could not have faced down the Nazgul, and only Elrond could command the Bruinen to rise up, utilizing Vilya. It annoyed me like toothache from the first time I saw that whole scene. I keep going and reading just that part every time that bit of the film comes up, to repeat. '' It was not Arwen. '' But the fact that so many people think she did rescue Frodo, in canon, just floors me. PJ pushed out a Reborn Balrog Slayer of Gondolin for her. I can feel my blood pressure going up just thinking about it. I'm sure there were excuses, like; '' Glorfindel's not important to the film and we need more love-interest and fluff. '' Pfft. I don't care, that was entirely wrong.
Lol, I do not know about the green part, I don't retain a memory of what she wore.
There was a very distant relationship between Aragorn and Arwen, yes, but their marriage was almost like bringing the line of Beren and Luthien back together. Her brothers interest me far more, but that's just me. d;-)
Author's Response: I agree with you completely about most of what you said. Why do people keep saying they don't remember the bit at the end of ROTK with the dress she's wearing? Hmm, maybe i'm the only one who watches that scene i don't know. To be quite honest, i don't know why Aragorn would even like her whether she's his foster sister or not but that's my opinion. At least Dan and Ro have some sense in them, or do they? I guess we shall never know for PJ cut them out of the movie as well!!!! Oh well, thanx for reviewing and have a Merry Christmas or whatever you celebrate - Li
Really, this is a very movie-versish critique, as in the books, it is Glorfindel who finds the Fellowship, and I don't believe Tolkein ever says that Arwen does or doesn't look good in green.
Also, I don't think Elrond ever adopted Aragorn, but I could be wrong on that point.
Anyways, I agree that the Arwen in the movie isn't very good.
Author's Response: You have no idea how many times i've been told that. Thanx for the review and i'm glad you agree on the Movie-Arwen point. Thanks again - Li
I have to disagree, unless you want to retitle it "Reasons I Hate Movie!Arwen". Book Arwen is noble and gracious. As to the charge of abandoning her children, although it must have been wrenching for Eldarion, Encyclopedia of Arda cites what looks like good evidence to suggest that he was at least in his eighties when she left.
Movie!Arwen, however, clearly needs treatment for her klepto tendencies.
Author's Response: Good point, i shall get on to that. I'm sorry i didn't get back to you earlier but i didn't notice until just now. Thanks rnfor reviewing - Li
I've noticed that number 3 is debatable - I've never noticed her wearing green (assuming you're talking about the movies). It's pretty funny though. Here's another - she abandoned her children when they needed her the most - can you just imagine it?: "I'm leaving you now" "But father's just died!" "Tough. Bye"
Author's Response: Good point. I'm glad you liked this because not many other people do. I guess it's just one of those things where rnyou only read it if you have something against Arwen. Thanks for reviewing - Li
I agree with the first two. Never really noticed 3. But remember, Aragorn and Arwen didn't meet each other till he was 20, so I don't think that really counts.
Author's Response: Good point but i still think it was sick and wrong in many ways. Thanks for reviewing - Li
I guess you're not going to read MY story.
Author's Response: No i will, i've been thinking about it for a while actually. There are a few reasons i like Arwen such as . . . I'll think of rnsomething and get back to you. Thanks for reviewing - Li
Totally random, but hey maybe Arwen has a stealing problem huh?
Author's Response: THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT COMPELLED ME TO WRITE THIS!!!!!!!!!! Arwen has sooooo many bad habits you just rnhave to make a list of them! I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for reading - Li